History of St. Michael
Tucked amongst the hills of Robertson County near the community of Flewellyn sits St. Michael Church, surrounded by its history
St. Michael was dedicated in 1842 and is the oldest Catholic church in continuous operation in Tennessee.
In 1842 John Dillon Byrne, Henry Redmond, Levi Traughber, and Joseph Watson bought one acre from the Wessyngton Estate and sold it to Bishop Richard Pius Miles, O.P. for $5 to build a church. Bishop Miles dedicated the church on May 8, 1842, the feast of St. Michael. The original portion of the church is still in use today. At the time, it was a stop of the stagecoach between Nashville and Clarksville.
Father Abram Ryan, the “poet-priest” of the Confederacy served St. Michael from 1864-1865.
The church was expanded in 1935, and a bell tower was added for the 100th anniversary in 1942. Cardinal Samuel Stritch, a native of Nashville, was the celebrant for the Mass marking the 100th anniversary of St. Michael.
During World War II, St. Michael was often filled with soldiers from Fort Campbell on training exercises in the area.
On August 10, 1973 St. Michael was entered into the National Register of Historic Places.
An outdoor altar was added for the church’s 150th anniversary, built with stones from the foundation of the school built in the 1840′s by Fr. Louis Hoste.