History of Our Lady of Lourdes
Until 1944 St. Michael was the only parish in Robertson County. Beginning in 1944, Fr. Francis Eisman held Mass in the Princess Theater on Fifth Avenue. Later Mass was held at Capital Theater on Main Street.
In 1946, the church found a permanent location at 118 North Main Street, the former home of the Pepper family an today the site of Peppergrove Apartments. It was purchased from James O. Toleson in 1949 for $9,000. A chapel was build across the front of the two-story house.
In August 1948 the parish received its first pastor, Fr. Joseph Tarpy. In the fall of 1948 a Catholic School was opened using three rooms at the back of the house. The school remained in operation there until 1962. The Sisters of Mercy staffed the school.
In 1960 five acres was purchased on Golf Club Lane from Robert Moore. The cornerstone was laid on February 18, 1962. The school remained in operation at the site until 1967.