About our Parishes
St. Michael Parish
175 Years of Serving Tennessee
The below excerpt if from May 1942... The Centennial Celebration for St. Michael!
The Most Reverend William L. Adrian celebrated the outdoor Solemn Pontifical Mass in front of St. Michael on the occasion of the celebration of the Centennial of St. Michael Church, Friday, May 8, 1942. The Most Rev. Samuel A. Stritch, D. D., Archbishop of Chicago, delivered the sermon, in which he pointed out that the world has tried to live without God, but “Today we see the bankruptcy of these systems that try to fill life without God. This little church, with its few members and its small building, for 100 years sent forth an energy to outdo and counteract these systems without God, for here Christ has lived among his people, has kept alive morality, the dignity of man, human responsibility, and the supernatural life. We have underestimated our country parishes. As the countryside is today, so shall the United States, its ideas and achievements, be in days to come. Great buildings and achievements will not make a great tomorrow. There is no way of achieving outside the cross of Jesus Christ. There is no way of building unless on the foundation of Christ. Our tomorrow will be a dismal failure unless we learn the lesson of these 100 years of St. Michael.”
Please feel free to view the picture galleries for St. Michael and Our Lady of Lourdes. We have included pictures from 1842 to the present, celebrating the rich history of our Parish family.
Click Here to see our Multi-Media Galleries with pictures going back to the 1840's
History of St. Michael
Tucked amongst the hills of Robertson County near the community of Flewellyn sits St. Michael Church, surrounded by its history
St. Michael was dedicated in 1842 and is the oldest Catholic church in continuous operation in Tennessee.
In 1842 John Dillon Byrne, Henry Redmond, Levi Traughber, and Joseph Watson bought one acre from the Wessyngton Estate and sold it to Bishop Richard Pius Miles, O.P. for $5 to build a church. Bishop Miles dedicated the church on May 8, 1842, the feast of St. Michael. The original portion of the church is still in use today. At the time, it was a stop of the stagecoach between Nashville and Clarksville.
Father Abram Ryan, the “poet-priest” of the Confederacy served St. Michael from 1864-1865.
The church was expanded in 1935, and a bell tower was added for the 100th anniversary in 1942. Cardinal Samuel Stritch, a native of Nashville, was the celebrant for the Mass marking the 100th anniversary of St. Michael.
During World War II, St. Michael was often filled with soldiers from Fort Campbell on training exercises in the area.
On August 10, 1973 St. Michael was entered into the National Register of Historic Places.
An outdoor altar was added for the church’s 150th anniversary, built with stones from the foundation of the school built in the 1840′s by Fr. Louis Hoste.
The History of St. Michael's Church is available for download from the below link:
This is a large download.
History of Our Lady of Lourdes
Until 1944 St. Michael was the only parish in Robertson County. Beginning in 1944, Fr. Francis Eisman held Mass in the Princess Theater on Fifth Avenue. Later Mass was held at Capital Theater on Main Street.
In 1946, the church found a permanent location at 118 North Main Street, the former home of the Pepper family and today the site of Peppergrove Apartments. It was purchased from James O. Toleson in 1949 for $9,000. A chapel was build across the front of the two-story house.
In August 1948 the parish received its first pastor, Fr. Joseph Tarpy. In the fall of 1948 a Catholic School was opened using three rooms at the back of the house. The school remained in operation there until 1962. The Sisters of Mercy staffed the school.
In 1960 five acres was purchased on Golf Club Lane from Robert Moore. The cornerstone was laid on February 18, 1962. The school remained in operation at the site until 1967.
Our Lady of Lourdes
103 Golf Club Lane
Springfield, TN 37172
See the Weekly Bulletins to confirm times:
Saturday: 8:30am, 5:00pm
Spanish: Sunday 1PM
Saturday: 9:am to noon
Saturday: 9am to noon, 4:30pm to 5pm
3553 South Carter Road
Cedar Hill, TN 37072